Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Night and Day

Love is my greatest weakness. Pain is my best friend. Literally. In this world we are all on our own. No matter how close you might think you are to someone its always possible that by the dawning light they'll be gone. I should know, right? I'm one that kills them. Seems odd right? You have no flippin' clue. I'm Danica, welcome to my life. If you knew what's best you'd run away now, before the nightmare drags you in and never lets go.



Chapter 1. The Beginning

I felt myself fall forwards out of the tall oak, but instead of opening my wings instantly like I should have I just kept falling. Before I fully realized it the ground was almost reaching me, the greedy night time darkness reaching up hungrily towards me. I laughed, shaking out my wings to their full extent, nearly 14 feet. The heavy winds of the storm yanked me up, the creatures that had been scuttling around in the dark completely frozen as they watched. I knew somewhere my brother waited for me, watching with that smirk on his pale lips as usual. I really hated him.

I pushed myself up on the strong currents, closing my eyes lightly, feeling the tiny tickling of my eyelashes on my cheeks. I heard him laugh. My eyes snapped open, instantly my pupils adjusting to the new darkness. I looked to my right and down, sure enough I saw him. We are literally Night and Day. He rules the day while I stalk the night. One thing I'm just starting to learn though, Day doesn't mean Light just as Night doesn't mean Darkness. As for looks, no one would guess we were twins until they looked into our eyes. Once you see the burning fire inside our eyes, saw the majestic switching of colors, you'd know we were different, you'd run away from us.

I've only seen our mother once, but when I did she told me we had witch eyes, eyes they told a story of the beginning. I was four then, not much really could reach me. Because, unlike my brother, I had no clue what we, what I was. Now, now I'm not so clueless. I smirked down at him, tucking my wings and falling straight down. My hair, long thick curls that looked black but were really various shades of dark purple and blue too, whipped around my face, falling softly down on my shoulders and spilling down my back as I landing gently on the tree branch beside him. He was lounging back on the branch, one long, lean, muscled leg falling carelessly over, one arm behind his head while the other plucked at the needles of a tree branch.

I growled softly at him and narrowed my eyes, grinning mischievously. He looked unamused, his white-blond hair sticking up in a artistically mused mess, the exact opposite of my dark curls. We were twins, yes, but our fathers....our fathers couldn't be more different. I, of coarse, lucky me, got the dark sides of that strain of DNA. He, like always, picked up on my thoughts and chuckled darkly. I shoved him over and layed beside him, looking up at the moon. He hissed in a breath, almost falling sideways out of the tree. I knew he was doing it for show, he could have stopped me from pushing him before I even moved. He was that powerful, but I knew no matter what I did, no matter what I said, he wouldn't hurt me. If only he loved me, maybe I'd hate him less. But no, he didn't love me. So therefore I loved him, but I hated him just the same.

I decided to be daring, I leaned over closer to Koray and layed my head lightly on his shoulder. He instantly stiffened, No One touched him. I bit down and swallowed my giggles, looking back up at the moon. To my utter astonishment, he lightly wrapped his arm around me, warning anything in the night not to touch me. He didn't need to, they knew who the night belonged to. It had been years since he touched me without extreme force causing him to. I smiled softly to myself and sighed quietly. It was times like this that I felt love towards him, almost always I confronted him with hate. Tonight would be the night things changed.

Forever, it had only been us. Our real parents, both sets of fathers and our mother, had been killed when we were little. Of coarse we knew that after the powers came but before we didn't. Well, I didn't. I can never decide if Koray is the same as myself when it comes to emotions and memories. He isn't the emotional type. Maybe I should tell you more about myself and let it run into our parents and him. As you already know, I have wings. I don't know many 17 year olds with wings. Most angels are older, A LOT older. Here's the biggest difference between Koray and I power wise, I am the only one that has Angel Blood.

When I say angel you think heavenly creature, wings, good feelings...all that. No, that is Not

Koray noticed of coarse, and to my extended astonishment, touched his own neck in the exact same place where a sun was perfectly "tattooed." We had been bred for these powers, him owning the Day as I own the Night. I smiled and laughed, once again pushing it, and poked his neck. Instead of getting mad or possibly pushing me away he just poked me back, tracing the moon with the very tip of his finger. I shivered at how cold he was, leaning away from him slightly. He smirked and suddenly his skin was blazing, almost a burning hot. That's when I realized I had been shivering, for quite some time now. Koray had known.

I bit my lip and leaned back against him, trembling softly as the extreme temperatures of our bodies mingled dangerously, his a burning fire, mine a deep, bone-chilling cold. I felt him smile against my hair as he rested his head in my curls. I snuggled into him and closed my eyes, pretending this was how things were. As long as I could pretend that he did love me nothing could touch me. Not the cold nor the past, Nothing. Koray traced his fingers down my arm and before I knew it I had fallen into a deep slumber, my head on his chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment